Monday, August 19, 2013

Vintage Monday: Hello Sailor!


I have a whole collection of these square color photos, and did a research once to find out the brand of camera they came from. Unfortunately, I've forgotten my findings. I should've written it down.

Anyway, this photos seem to have been common in the sixties and then disappeared in the early seventies. They are a good example of color photographs--especially from that time period--being far less archival than black and white. The edge of this picture should be white. However, I have a great fondness for them, despite and because of the color shifts and fuzzy focus. There's something vaguely dreamy about them.

This particular photo is especially attractive thanks to the composition and the colors. The girl in red, flanked by the sailors in white stand out nicely against the blue-gray of the submarine.

No comments:

Post a Comment