Thursday, March 19, 2015

Thesaurus Thursday


There are bad day and there are good days. Yesterday was one of the latter. After a swim I stopped at my favorite used bookstore to visit the kitties. I spotted one of them right away playing, and did the natural thing--got down to eye level to take a picture. Kitty did what was natural to him: got up, climbed on my shoulders and proceeded trying to chew my ear off. In the literal sense.

After my eventual escape--ears mostly intact--I went browsing and immediately found a 1933 Roget's Thesaurus. I've been looking for something like it for a long time. It's a cheap reprint, but I don't care; my interest is in the content. Old thesauri are a great source to find archaic words. You know, in case I ever decided to write a historic novel.

This book has some nice old expressions too. For example under "relief" it lists: temper the wind to the shorn lamb and lay the flattering unction to one's soul. However, it has nothing about rescuing one's ear from the maws of kittens.

No comments:

Post a Comment