Saturday, November 16, 2013

Cranky Pants Updates


I'm cranky. I'll admit, this is not an unusual state for me, but lately I've been feeling more crotchety than usual. Partly it's the season—the holidays are coming up and pretty soon I won't be able to buy a pint of milk without being assaulted by cheesy music. Yes, I'm a Grinch. Bite me.

Then there is NaNoWriMo. I know I should be cheering on the brave souls participating in this madness, but when someone posts about the gajillion words they just finished, on one single day, I start seething with petty jealousy. Because I write painfully slow. It's embarrassing. Worst is when someone posts they wrote "only" X number of words, and it's a number twice my daily goal. It's like the skinny chick in the office complaining how fat she is. I'm sure Miss Manners would not approve.

The problem is, I need something to be pumped up about or I sink into a funk—like sharks need to keep swimming to breathe. I'm an excitement shark. Unfortunately, right now I'm in a dead zone. My last release was seems like forever ago and there's still a month till the next one. Okay, a little less than a month.

I'm working on a book and that should make me happy, right? Ha! In an interview with Josh Lanyon Astrid Amara gave this reply when asked what she loved about writing:

"I love the finished product, two months later, when I have a chance to re-read my work and go, ok, that’s what I wanted to read. Before that I hate the whole thing. I hate sitting down and writing. I hate difficult plotting problems. I hate middles. Deadlines stress me and without them I do nothing. And when I’m working on a project every page I read is the worst drivel I’ve ever come across."

Well, that's pretty much how I feel. At least I'm not the only one. I'm surprised and relieved every time I manage to finish a book.

Oh yeah, and I changed my internet to Uverse and now keep loosing connection. Farking AT&T.

A'ight, I'm done kvetching. Back to editing.

No comments:

Post a Comment