Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Wednesday Word: Collywobbles

collywobbles |ˈkälēˌwäbəlz|plural noun informal chiefly humorousstomach pain or queasiness an attack of collywobbles.• intense anxiety or nervousness, esp. with such symptoms such organizations give him the collywobbles.ORIGIN early 19th cent.: fanciful formation from colic and wobble .
This is one of those words that need to become more popular. I rarely have stomach problems--my anxiety manifests itself in shoulder and upper back pain. I had a lot of it while writing Dead In L.A. No colic, but a lot of emotional wobble. Instead of letting it cripple me, I decided to harness it and channel it into Jon, the narrator. It became the stuff of his fears, bitterness, and secret yearnings.

5 comments:

  1. This is definitely a word that needs to be used more widely! Much more interesting than saying one has an upset stomach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Way more interesting. I challenge you to use it!

      Delete
  2. I first heard the word used when I was living in Australia back in the late 1980's/early 1990's. It was applied to Collingwood's (an Australian Rules football team) ability to start the season well and then completely collapse or their inability to achieve a grand final win due to nerves; high expectations etc.

    p.s. will Dead in LA be available at All Romance eBooks at some stage?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is Australian football more like European or American?

      My KDP select term with Amazon expires on March 6, and I'll be loading the book up on ARe and Smashwords that day. I think I already have the necessary files. I'm sorry about that. I thought KDP Select was a good idea, but I changed my mind. I won't do it again for new releases.

      Delete
    2. Australian Rules football is probably most similar to Gaelic football, but with 18 players on each side; an oval ball (similar to an American football or rugby ball); and an oval field. It's a very athletic and exciting game to watch!

      Looking forward to getting my hands on Dead in LA in a week or so.

      many thanks
      Shelley

      Delete