Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Wednesday Word: Persnickety

persnickety |pərˈsnikətē|adjective informalplacing too much emphasis on trivial or minor details; fussy persnickety gardeners she's very persnickety about her food.• requiring a particularly precise or careful approach it's hard to find a film more persnickety and difficult to use than black-and-white infrared.ORIGIN early 19th cent. (originally Scots): of unknownorigin.

Lovely word. Conjures up and image of a maiden aunt with a sharp nose and severe expression, pruning roses.

5 comments:

  1. I use this one regularly. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to start doing that.

      Delete
    2. I mean, if I successfully used "bucolic" in conversation today, you can certainly use "persnickety". :)

      Delete
  2. I was sure that this was a very American word - I associate it with Anne of Green Gables and Little Women and that type of book - so I was surprised to see that it was originally Scots.

    "Conjures up an image of a maiden aunt with a sharp nose and severe expression, pruning roses" - I agree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised almost ever thing when the origin of and english word is not Latin. :P But you're right; this word sounds to prissy to be Scottish.

      Delete