Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Wednesday Word: Precipitous



precipitous |priˈsipətəs|adjectivedangerously high or steep the precipitous cliffs of the North Atlantic coast.• (of a change to a worse situation or condition) sudden and dramatic the end of the war led to a precipitous decline in exports.(of an action) done suddenly and without carefulconsideration precipitous intervention.DERIVATIVESprecipitously adverbprecipitousness nounORIGIN mid 17th cent.from obsolete Frenchprécipiteux, from Latin praeceps, praecip(it)- ‘steep, headlong’ (see precipitate ).

2 comments:

  1. That picture makes me nervous just looking at it! I REALLY don't like heights!

    Off topic, I just LOVED "Dead in LA", ordered the paperback cuz I prefer books, hope there will be a sequel! Jon & Andy are adorable together! Definitely a keeper...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe. I don't have a fear of heights, but I have one of accidents, and you would never catch me at a spot like that. I've seen in a book of vernacular photography a similar picture, except in that one the man was jumping from one cliff to another, caught in mid-air by the photographer. I can't get it out of my head--I'm still wondering if he made it.

      Thanks for reading Dead in L.A. :) I'm definitely planning a sequel. It'll come out probably in September. Yeah, I know it's a while, but I have a couple of other books coming out at the end of April and June.

      Delete