Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Wednesday Word: Bollix & Bollocks

bollix |ˈbäliksvulgar slang verb [ with obj. ] (usu. bollix something upbungle (a task).pl.nounvariant spelling of bollocks.bollocks |ˈbäləks(also ballocks or bollix) vulgar slang, chiefly Brit. nounin pl. ] the testicles.used to express contempt, annoyance, or defiance.ORIGIN mid 18th cent.: plural of bollock, variant of earlier ballock, of Germanicorigin; related to ball.
Another word I want to steal from the Brits. The greedy imperial bastards keep hogging the best ones. Bollocks to them, I say.

6 comments:

  1. I do like that alternative spelling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh. one of my favourite words :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, No, No! Sorry, being very 'Old School' It's.Definitely Bollocks! "I 'Bollocksed" it up!"sounds so.o much more effective than " I 'bollixed' it up" in my opinion. "Being grabbed by the bollocks..." again sounds/reads so much better to me than "Being grabbed by the bollix."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, I hope I haven't started a controversy. You're right about bollocks sounding better, but in writing bollix has certain visual appeal. :)

      Delete