Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Wednesday Word: Plangent

plangent |ˈplanjənt|adjective chiefly poetic/literary(of a sound) loud, reverberating, and often melancholy.DERIVATIVESplangency nounplangently adverbORIGIN early 19th cent.from Latin plangent-‘lamenting,’ from the verb plangere.

Hm. The plangent mating call of the male bullfrog, perhaps?

I plundered this word--along with a few others--from Carl Hiaasen's Stormy Weather.  The story grabbed me and I stayed up till 3 a.m. to finish it. Yet, I don't feel the urge to rush out and buy more of Hiaasen's books. Why is that?

2 comments:

  1. Not sure I've ever seen that one before.

    Good question about Hiaasen's books. I've experienced that with other authors, although names escape me right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it happened because the story was suspenseful and well written but I didn't really engage with any of the characters.

    ReplyDelete